Searching...
Tuesday 14 August 2012

The "Why Me" Blues.

Some Cancers such as Ovarian Cancer and (Regular) Breast Cancer can be hereditary.  Other Cancers can be caused by things in your environment like asbestos and then there are those Cancers caused by abusing your body through smoking or alcohol.  It's not as if these Cancers are any better or worse than what I have, it's just that if I got a Cancer due to genetic history or abuse, well then perhaps I could understand it a little more.

What challenges me is that I've always taken pretty good care of myself, yes I like my wine but otherwise I have lived a healthy life.  I've never smoked, I don't do recreational drugs, I don't eat junk food (okay once in a blue moon), and I have always exercised, yet I got Cancer.  I think this is totally insane, and to make matters worse, I didn't get a slow growing Breast Cancer or an easily curable Cancer, no, I got a virulant, hard to treat Cancer.

So now that I have this Cancer, I have been attending education sessions and reading books about how to help fight Cancer and how to prevent it from recurring.  What do all these wonderfully wise people say?  Eat well, exercise, drink lots of water and you'll heal and you will keep cancer from recurring.  Does anyone else see the irony here?  Isn't that what I have always done?  I've been shown all these stats about how if you exercise 3-5 hrs per week you can prevent breast cancer recurrence by as much as 45%, if you eat coniferous vegetables then you can reduce mortality by 62% and recurrence by 35% http://www.health.am/cr/more/veggies-may-help-fight-breast-cancer/, I get that if I've been a couch potato, junk food junky, but for me, that isn't much of a change, so what does that mean?

What can I change that will help me?  I think the only thing would be for me to slow down and not live such a high energy, stressful life.  The problem with that is that I love my work and the stress I put myself under to achieve.  I'm not sure what I would do with my time if I wasn't so driven.  Is there another way to live?  This I believe is my task, to find a way to live a more balanced, less stressful life that I still get a kick out of.....open to suggestions kids!

Gotta run, life awaits.
Michelle

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Back to top!